Call it a change of heart, a U-turn or whatever you like, but missing out on Openworld has been bugging me so, having reviewed the company's finances, I've changed my mind and decided I'm going to accept my free pass to Openworld after all.
I suppose the main factors are :-
- I'll still be going on holiday with Mads soon. That was the first priority.
- I want to invest more in my personal education. That might include some courses this year, but hopefully there'll be plenty of learning opportunities at Openworld too. I might even get time to read a technical book on the plane!
- I really like San Francisco and Openworld was good fun last time. It's certainly a unique experience.
- It's another chance to meet up with a number of people I know through the community, some for the first time.
- I can meet the OTN and ACE team for myself, say thanks for the award and raise some of the questions that Howard's raised, face-to-face.
- I'm going to be working a lot of Sundays over the next couple of months, so this'll be my reward.
- Prince. Yep, sorry folks, but remember my age I can forgive him all his minor lunacy for some classic tunes. Better than flipping Elton John, anyway!!
Of course, now I'll feel bad about not attending Miracle Openworld (but I was at MSDBF), Hotsos (although I was there in March) and the rest, but it's been a while since I've attended an "official" Oracle conference (7 years, in fact) so I suppose it's time.
P.S. There will be some technical blogs soon. There's plenty to write about, but it just takes a little more effort than the fluff.